Thursday, August 4, 2011

Labels


One thing my own denomination is really good at is labelling people. We are very quick to label people liberal, if they seem a little hazy on the essentials, fundamentalists, if they seem too sure, catholics, if they like liturgy, evangelicals, if they mention the bible. All of this seems to me to be a desire to box people in and set up walls of exclusiveness. Also, admittedly, I don't like to be labelled, but do like to be a bit of a free spirit, which means I must be a charismatic! So to my disappointment I find labelling going on in the 'emerging' camp. 'Emergents', so the story goes, are followers of Brian McLaren and obviously closet liberals. 'Emergings', followers of Rob Bell and company. 'Fresh Expressions' are those who are in the main-line denominations but are planting new ministries to the un-churched (another label). All a bit of a shame, really.

Yet, on the other hand, some sense of shape is important to give us a sense of direction. It is the over association with a label that leads to a stunting of growth. It is good to know who you are, bad to be defined by others who want to keep you in a box.

At'connecT' we would probably label ourselves as 'emerging', but not in an exclusive sense. We are built on the foundations of the historic faith, but open to creativity and exploration; a community that seeks to serve and love. But, I guess, it doesn't matter what we label ourselves and where we fit in the ecclesiastical system. The bigger question; who does God see us to be?

Chris

4 comments:

spirit2go team said...

I thought emergent was US, emerging was the rest of the world and fresh expressions was a British take on the whole thing.

Labels. labels. we name our kids - differently, which is important. Yet they are still all the same - humans.

I hope that Connect finds space to be both different and same, at once and together,

steve

Chris said...

Thanks Steve.

Yes, confusing, because people use the terminology differently. Does it matter? No, I don't think it does. By the time we sort out the jargon we would have moved on. As long, as you say, we find the 'sacred space' to be ourselves.

Thanks for the comment!

Chris

Paul Miller said...

Well, I guess the 'Emerging'church is full of Christians who have had a 'gutful' of the 'truth with-out love' end of the church and the 'love with-out truth' other end of the church and wish to keep the two in perfect tension but with 'love'always triumphing! Well, I guess that is what I'm after and wish to show in my Christian walk. Am I 'biting off more than I can chew'?
Paul

Stephan Clark said...

I find the nomenclature more and more inadequate.
There are still gatekeepers who are keen to validate what Fresh Expressions are allowed to be expressed. And, I suspect, what of the Emergent is allowed to emerge.
Begs all sorts of questions about babies and bath water...and then I frighten myself as I think I might be becoming reactionary in my old age!