Thursday, September 5, 2013

Humble like me!

Humility has always been one of my strong points! A joke, obviously, but when I sometimes start a sermon by saying this the serious looks I get suggest that some people either believe me or, more likely, they have already switched off. That is the trouble with humility. If you say you have it, you obviously don't.

Last week's Gospel reading, Luke 14: 7 - 14 encourages us to be humble. It says to be humble means taking the lowest place, but surprisingly then being moved up to higher place of honour. Is that a catch 22? I will pretend to be humble in the hope that I will then be exalted. However, if that is my motivation, then I will not be exalted, but humbled once again. Perhaps, the main point of this teaching of Jesus is about not pushing ourselves forward or thinking too highly about ourselves. In God's eyes, the poor, the crippled, and the lame will have a special place at the table (Luke 14: 13).  For me, it is about being grateful that God invites me too, and letting the seat allocation be done by him.

This Sunday at connecT we are exploring that difficult passage, Luke 14 : 25 -35. I'm glad it wasn't the text for Fathers Day!

Chris

3 comments:

Paul Miller said...

Yes Chris I know what you are talking about. It's hard to be humble! People look at me strangely when I tell them I am writing a book called 'Humility and how I achieved it'!!!

McLeodsmusings said...

Thanks Paul. I'll write the forward!

Stephan Clark said...

I've always thought of you as rather humble...but indeed (as in my case) it's hard to be humble...when you're perfect in every way