Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ruth - and the moral of the story is?

It seems to me that there is a bit of a punch line to the story of Ruth in chapter 4, when we are told that Ruth gives birth to Obed, the grand-father of David. Is that the only reason Ruth is in the Bible? A bit of a prequel to the real story - David. But so much is lost isn't there to that simple masculine focus. I love the relationship between the women - Naomi, Orpah and Ruth (1:14); Orpah departed with a kiss but Ruth clung to Naomi. Naomi cares for her daughter in law like her own child and then nurses the infant Obed. The women of the neighbourhood join in giving the name to the child. A model of community, I think. A feminine gift to a masculine world.

Chris

2 comments:

John Nebauer said...

There is a sense of community at several levels for me. Is there a hint of community at an international level, where people of different faiths and traditions can co-exist? There is the sense of community between the landowner Boaz and Ruth the outsider. But I agree - the relationships between the women which take centre stage is the highlight for me.

sarah said...

I was at a lunch yesterday with women in leadership in the Uniting Church in South Australia, at which our speaker led us in reflecting on the image of Lady Wisdom as relational, invitational and playful. Liz challenged us to approach our various roles in community from this womanly perspective as a gift to the communities we serve. It is a lovely coincidence to read your reflections on the story of Ruth, Chris and John, as I reflect on Lady Wisdom, and as I reflect on the story of Esther for the new community that meet over dinner on a Sunday evening at Christ Church Wayville.